Tuesday, October 14, 2003

I was saddened to learn that Carolyn Heilbrun died. Touted as a "feminist scholar" by the press seems to diminish her brilliance somehow, particularly since the term is now uttered with scorn in many circles, especially among young people. I soaked in Writing a Woman's Life when I read it in the late 70s--loved it so much I ran out to buy a copy and for the next ten years dreamed of writing a biography myself. I didn't get to it until the mid-90s when I wrote Susan B. Anthony: A Biographical Companion. Writing a Woman's Life is still influencing me today. I have never read one of Heilbrun's mysteries, which she wrote using the pseudonym Amanda Cross, purportedly because she didn't want her academic colleagues to know about this aspect of her writing career. I think I'll try to get a hold of In the Last Analysis, her first mystery and the first featuring Kate Fansler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home