Saturday, October 11, 2003


To correct my post of last night, HijackThis is a program available for download from the Spywareinfo site. Definitely try it if you've been hijacked; it worked for me. I can now access Google in a flash.

I loved every minute spent reading Haunted Ground by Erin Hart, a book I thoroughly enjoyed on my September vacation in the Adirondacks. It's a double murder mystery, one set in the past, one in the present. At the beginning of the book, a woman's head is discovered perfectly preserved in a peat bog in western Ireland, in Galway, a two-and-a-half hour drive from Dublin. A down-on-his-luck detective, a woman historian and archivist, and an archeologist all converge as they try to unravel their respective mysteries. Hart pays extraordinary attention to details: historical, forensic, architectural, and the setting particulars are painstakingly wrought. I appreciated this aspect the most, I think. The characterization is strong and the unfolding of the mystery is skillfully done. This first novel deserves special mention and wider circulation. I have not heard much buzz about it at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home