Thursday, December 23, 2004

Rumer Godden's The Story of Holly and Ivy , about an orphan who finds a warm, loving home with an older couple, is one of my all-time favorite Christmas stories. I read my paperback copy every year!

Two days til Christmas and my house is a mess. My office resembles the aftermath of a volcanic eruption. And right now I just do not have the reserves of energy to do what needs to be done.

Getting hot under the collar is energizing, though. By now, some of you know me well enough to realize how this book blogger's comment hit me.

"A NOTE ABOUT BOOK SALES. As an author myself, I...am fully sympathetic with the view that public libraries are an evil akin to Napster in its pirating days -- not that most would equate the two. One wants one's books to sell, not to be bandied about on the streets for free."

No additional comment is necessary from me except to say that I have lost sympathy with this blogger, who, I'm sure, has no idea how elitist her attitude is.

May libraries live long and prosper!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea how anyone could equate Napster with the public library~especially a person who claims to be a writer! As you say, it is beyond words or comments.

Loretta

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops - her comments got me so angry that I forgot why I started to post. We have Holly & Ivy and have read it to our kids for years. However, I never realized that it was written by Rumer Godden, one of my favorite authors. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I'm about to ransack the little one's bookshelves to find it.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am astonished at any person having pretensions of humanity, intelligence or an education making a comment like that about libraries. They are an amazing resource making literature, and the profound opportunities for pleasure and personal growth that books represent, available to everyone. To me that is how it should be in any civilised country. Proper remuneration for authors should be addressed via the public lending right royalty not by silly comments like that!

Sandra
Bookworld.typepad.com

12:52 PM  
Blogger SFP said...

If libraries stop carrying her books I bet she'll sing a different tune.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home