Friday, December 03, 2004

This may be a Friday that really means something. By that, I mean the end of a work week, when work ceases for a time? I will need to work some, though--more projects stacked up. But for right now I'm not going to think about that.

I received a subscription invitation in the mail today that is making my phone-dialing finger quiver. I believe I've mentioned my craving for a subscription to Publisher's Weekly, and how difficult it is to access copies at public libraries. It is the single most helpful resource for writers of books. (Hello, editors: Do I need a comma after "single?") When I subscribed in the past I learned immeasurably from it, and it has helped my career. But I have really balked at the $225 yearly subscription rate. I just haven't been able to afford it. So the offer of $149 is tantalizing. And I'm definitely going to go for it.

Speaking of great magazines about books: Have you sampled Bookmarks magazine? Since the demise of Book magazine, it has become the best of the glossy book mags. I love the way it's crammed with information about dozens and dozens of new books in all genres. And I admire the short shrift they give to the mass-market top-of-the-bestseller-list stuff. So if you love to read about books, check out their website. Bookmarks is also available at Borders, Barnes, and all better bookstores.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judith,

Thanks for the shout out -- we appreciate it!

Jon Phillips
Editor, Bookmarks

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home