Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I'm encouraged because it looks as though my schedule will allow me to post entries on a more regular basis through January 3rd. I need to scrounge around for some content, however, especially because I'm still reading The Murder Room by P.D. James. As I've mentioned here many times, I'm turned off by the mystery genre in general, but I wanted to give her books a try, especially since her writing is so widely praised. I am loving it, and wish it wouldn't have to end. The setting, a small museum in a large house on the edge of Hampstead Heath in London, is so well handled. I love a story rich in descriptive details, where I can stand beside the characters as the action unfolds. And this is it.

I've always been amazed that all her working life, James set aside two hours each morning to write, between 5 and 7 am. That's it. Just kept plugging away, week after week, at those hours. And here she is at 81, 17 books later. Of course, I imagine that once she retired she could work longer hours if she liked!

Let's hope that December brings me plenty of time to read!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home