Thursday, January 06, 2005

The weather today has been so beastly! Wet snow and a hard, pelting sleet, followed by rain--what a mess. Golden retrievers and dirty slushy roads do not mix. Ugh.

As I scooted around the web this afternoon, I'm reminded of a new book I'd like to sample. Maybe The Family Tree,a first novel by the Welsh-born British writer Carole Cadwalladr, could lighten the gloom around here. I must admit I'm very nervous that the Kirkus review protested, "This is not chick-lit!" Why did the reviewer emphasize that point? Does it read like chick-lit? Does it look like chick-lit? Now I'm more hesitant than I was before I saw that blurb. But the basic plot line intrigues me so. "A tale of a pregnant young woman whose scientist husband questions her genes while she questions nearly everything she knows..." Am I hard up for excitement or is that an interesting premise? I'm on the fence on this one. Publisher's Weekly and Kirkus gave it a starred review, though. It's been out in Britain since August--has anybody read it or heard about it?


4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Well, I haven't heard of the book, but the plot sounds similar to The Twilight of the Golds, a movie which I did see and which I liked, mostly because it made me think so much about the issues at hand.

9:41 AM  
Blogger ShellyS said...

Nice blog. Thanks for leaving the link on my blog. :)

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Yes I've read it. (Got an advanced proof copy from a friend). And it's fantastic - moving, funny, intelligent, thought provoking. Part of it is set in the 70's - there's a hilarious accounts of finding the Joy of Sex in her father's sock draw - but it also draws on recent research in the field of genetics.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I Need A MOLD TEST KIT...I would like you to know about black mold toxic. If you are getting sick often. Visit ..http://moldinfo4u.com . If You see black powder looking dust on your walls or floors that could be the black mold toxic I'm Talking about.. This can be cleaned with bleach most of the time but beware of how you clean and dispose of the paper towel that you use.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home