Friday, December 31, 2004

Last Call!

Wanted: Your Opinion

What was the Best Book You Read in 2004?

For details, see my Saturday, December 11 entry. (Go to the archive for December 2004 on the right.)


Note: I have changed my best book to Oracle Night by Paul Auster. (See my February 4, 2004 entry).

Every year, as soon as it gets dark on December 31st, I feel I must lay to rest the unresolved questions in my life. I believe that if I have the solitude and the darkness to surround me, for however many hours it takes, I can develop a plan that will either set my life right or that will furnish me with the resolve to remain steadfast on whatever course I'm on.

But I'm never alone on December 31st. I'm usually surrounded by Ken and my friends and I suppose I wouldn't want it any other way. But in the week ahead, maybe I can gather the darkness on other days and try to visit the quiet place inside myself where I can reflect.

The Children's War by Monique Charlesworth is hard to put down. I find myself identifying so strongly with Ilse, who ages from 12-15 in the novel, that I feel every bump in the road she experiences. On the eve of World War II, her life is almost perfect while she is living with her uncle in Morocco. There she is cherished, well fed, happy, free to be her true self, though somewhat anxious about the fate of her self-absorbed parents in Germany. When the war begins, her uncle's wife decides she must return to Europe. No! No! My heart breaks in two for everything that she loses. But I read on. Bravely, I might add.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog - it makes good reading. Thought you might be interested in our great gift website. With Christmas not far away you cwill be able to find a range of superb unique and novelty gift ideas for everyone. Take a look at The Cosmic Superstore or Christmas gift ideas UK

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

related you're sure to find unuiqe and useful. The **Christmas** site

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. card lost security social is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there blog owner! I am searching blogs to find information and sources to help with my website:http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/horse_figurine.html My site is fairly new about 8 months old and have a google pr of 3 and get about 50 people a day to visit. My site has model horses and is all affiliate merchandise.
I have been in MLM companys for the past 8 years offline mainly and have never made a dime. This is a new frontier for my wife and I and don't have very much experience but a friend suggested searching blogs to get ideas about how people sale and also what kind of information they offer their customers and clients. We are begining to make some good money selling model horses related articles but I also want to offer my customers some quality information to go along with good deals. If you make it to my site and can offer some constructive critisizm I will take it into consideration or if you have some ideas it will be greatly appreciated. Remember we are on a budget and we do all the work ourselves. We have alot to offer in this general area model horses and building. Thank you for your time.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home