Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The wind is howling outside our door, the marsh is flooded, the rain won't stop. I spent all afternoon holed up at Starbuck's hammering away on the laptop. Very cozy and very good for work. The sun will shine soon enough and I'll have a hell of a time keeping at it.

This week's issue of Publisher's Weekly arrived today, and while I was waiting for dinner to finish cooking, I scanned the titles of some new fiction that will appear in July. Here goes: First Love, This Dame for Hire, Looking for Peyton Place, Dearly Devoted Dexter, Mad Girls in Love, Heart's Desire--I'm not making these up! Guess I better start buying spring titles for my summer reading because there's no substance in this week's issue.

I couldn't resist buying The Peabody Sisters: Three Women Who Ignited American Romanticism by Megan Marshall. I don't have it on my lap at the moment, but I recall there's--is it 100 or so--pages of footnotes. I'll check and report back. In any case, I love a juicy work of history with scads of notes that open all sorts of tangents that lead to new discoveries. Not only that, the lives of the Peabody sisters--Elizabeth, Mary, and Sophia--reveal so much Massachusetts history. Fascinating.

1 Comments:

Blogger SFP said...

I'm glad you're going to read The Peabody Sisters; I got it for Mother's Day and hope to get to it once I'm finished with Emerson Among the Eccentrics.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home