Monday, January 10, 2005

Last night Ken and I watched The House of Sand and Fog on DVD. It was incredibly powerful. I have to confess that I haven't read the book by Andre Dubus III. When it came out and was at its height of popularity, three people told me that it was a depressing read. Because I was shunning downer books at that time, I didn't pursue it, but if the movie is any evidence, I wish I hadn't avoided it. Ben Kingsley is amazing...I was inspired to have sympathy for a character I ordinarily would have loathed--I don't know exactly how he did it, but I'm thankful for having seen it.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi from carolyn (http://www.girlreaction.prettyposies.com)

it's always so interesting to hear other people's perspectives - i watched the same movie this weekend and i HATED it! thought it was a depressing movie about disparate losers, most of whom i could hardly care about at all. thought both jennifer connelley and ron eldard's characters should have been shot or beaten to a pulp in the first five minutes. could barely stand to watch it to the end.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home