Thursday, January 29, 2004

Now this is fun. What kind of readers are the Democratic candidates? And what are their favorite books? I was going to research the answers to these monumental questions when I discovered that Booksense had beat me to it.

So what is Wes Clark's favorite book? Pat Conroy's The Great Santini. Revealing, eh?

Howard Dean's favorites include Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion (going for the Pacific Northwest voters), the classic To Kill a Mockingbird (doing penance for the Confederate flag flap), Truman by David McCullough (out to please the Missouri folks before next Tuesday's primary), and Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed(gunning for any liberal not covered by the preceding categories).

John Edwards selected a book I know nothing about--The Trial of Socrates by I.F. Stone. Booksense also notes that he recently read The Da Vinci Code.

John Kerry named Trinity by Leon Uris, Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley and Ron Powers, and Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose (my least favorite pseudo-historian). Kerry recently read Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World by Margaret MacMillan.

I'll let you travel to Booksense to learn about the rest of the candidates (and about the Republican whose name will not be permitted to sully this blog), but I will mention that one of Joe Lieberman's favorite books is The New Oxford Annotated Bible. I happen to own this bible, too, but come on, Joe, your favorite book? What are you thinking? His other fave is Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home