Monday, January 26, 2004

Everyone in the neighborhood has their ears tuned to the radio and tv as we wait for the first major snowstorm since the beginning of December. As of right now, it seems that our winter hiking will come to an end. Sophie and I have had the best time exploring together. On this morning's walk we traipsed all through the frozen bog bordering Ponkapoag Pond. We investigated the bog grasses, bushes, and scrubby white cedar trees. We searched everywhere for animal tracks, but all we found were the human and dog variety. I guess the bog in winter doesn't have much food to offer. As we returned to the trail, it felt like a miracle to be walking where I paddle my Hornbeck boat in the summer months.

I have tried and tried to think of ways that Sophie and I could hike together in deep snow. The problem with skis is that, no matter how agile I am with the things on my feet, I don't have the maneuverability I have without them. If Sophie got into trouble, it would take me a while to respond. I'd have to take them off and then lumber through the snow to get to her. What's more, I don't know how far or how easily she'd be able to travel in eight to twelve inches of the stuff. I might try a 15-20 minute ski adventure with her to test it out. I do have snowshoes, but they are the old-fashioned wooden variety and often seem like they're more trouble than they're worth.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home