Thursday, February 10, 2005

I'm feeling bereft because I'm low on books at the moment. I'm on the final pages of Prep, I'm just beginning Snowlegs by Nicholas Shakespeare, but I want MORE. I have The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates in the house. All the critics said it's great, but I can't help but feel a little wary when I approach the work of someone who writes as prolificly as Oates does. She really churns 'em out! According to an interview she gave to NPR, she writes as much as she does because she works really hard. Does she mean she writes more than the vast majority of writers because she thinks she works harder than they do? Actually, if the truth be told, I'm as jealous as all hell. I'd love nothing better than to have the problem of being a little too prolific.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil W said...

What I understand about Oates is she writes in every spare minute she has. One book dealer called her obsessed with writing. She doesn't sit around. She doesn't have down-time. She scribbles.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home