Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Over the past six to eight months, I have made a point of trying to keep politics out of this blog. I want readers to enjoy the commentary about books and contemporary literature and have tried to make Musings a sanctuary from the flotsam and jetsam of our times. That said, I must tell you that this task has not been an easy one. The angst I feel about the direction of our country is at such a fever pitch that all I can say today is that I am very, very, very nervous. I also find it necessary at this time to make plans for the post-election future. How will I live in the world once I know who will be president? I must prepare.


Walden Pond

Henry David Thoreau's Walden appeared in my brain this morning, seemingly out of nowhere, but probably related to my need to prepare for the future. Walden is a how-to book for those who want to "live deliberately," and I will seize the next copy that comes my way. Maybe it will give me a framework for how to be in the world when everything seems so chaotic.

Published in 2004 are two new editions of Walden. One is a comprehensive, somewhat scholarly annotated version published by Yale University Press. (I love annotated editions of my favorite classics.) The other is the 150th Anniversary Edition, published by Houghton Mifflin. I have just placed an order for both at the library. The 150th is illustrated with beautiful photos of Walden throughout the seasons. I will report again when they arrive.

But I need Walden today! A web search has produced a perfectly adequate online edition. I'm all set!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home