Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Have you visited the Women's Review of Books lately? The articles and reviews are usually thought-provoking and well done. I especially appreciate the feminist viewpoint which is so difficult to find in the popular press these days. Could someone please tell me what's so bad about feminism? I missed the boat somewhere between 1980 and 2004.

Why is feminism such a dirty word among some young people? I remember when I was working at an incredible children's bookstore in the early 1990s, there was a young woman who'd recently graduated from Smith. She complained that she'd had feminism shoved down her throat there, presumably from the faculty and administration. I have heard similar stories from other women who attended Smith, Wellesley, Mount Holyoke, and other so-called elite institutions. What a disaster! What do feminists in the academy think they're doing? Are they, in part, responsible for the dread some young people have of feminism? I really can't say anymore because I've been working at my desk and doing solitary research in libraries for years, and haven't a clue what's going on in academe.

But back to my original topic. Check out the reviews and the back issues. Some very enlightening reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home